North West Venues
In the midst of this World heritage Site, lies Thabela Thabeng, nestled in and between the mountains and Vaal River, 100km from Johannesburg.
Thabela Thabeng means: “Be Happy in the Mountains”. Advice that is not hard to follow at this beautiful resort with no TV’s.
We do have strong Vodacom, but only limited MTN reception.
The luxury chalets nestle deep and secluded in the heart of the Mountains. Chalets have balconies with breathtaking views, fire places and cozy lapas. They are fully equipped for self catering.If you have a bakkie or SUV, NOW is the time to bring it on holiday! If not, vehicles with a higher ground clearance is best suitable to travel along the gravel road and up the mountain through the Dome Mountains to this Retreat that rejuvenates you – in harmony with nature.
Entering the mountain ridges formed by upturned earth crust, a sense of wonder combined with an old-world charm enfolds you. Together with the abundant fauna, flora and river , it becomes clear why the famous poet, Totius, described this area as “the place of angels”.
Whatever the exact forces were that formed the Dome, it was done to our benefit in a lot of ways. We express our love by giving, we remember passed lives engraved in the granite, we marvel at the rich variety of animal and plant life, experience romance, live adventurous and be rejuvenated body, mind, spirit and soul.
Kiosk: We have a kiosk available at reception where you can get firewood, charcoal, cool drinks , sweets and home made cakes and preserves and meat for braai.
We offer the following in accommodation:
- Sleeping Halls
- River House
all services daily.
- Mobile Reception for Vodacom
DSTV – Selection
Non Smoking Unit
Activities on Site
- Horse Riding
- Fly Fishing
- River Rafting
- Team Building
- Game Drives
Thabela Thabeng can be reached with a normal Sadan vehicle.
There is about 15km gravel road traveling from the Parys /Potch road
Our Fly fishing is what dreams are made of. Double figure Largemouth Yellow fish have been caught at Thabela and Smallmouth takes your fly offerings with glee.
- Anglo Boer War sites
- The largest wild olive forest in South Africa at Venterskroon
- A distillery where traditional South African “witblits” (extremely strong spirits) is made
- Craft Beer Brewery
- Berry farm that hosts 65 cultivars of berries
- Numerous Restaurants and Pubs – many with Live entertainment
- Art Galleries, crafts, antique shops, Designer Clothing shops and Unique Gift shops
- Hot air ballooning
- Indoor Shooting Range
What Customers think:
- Accommodation 80%
- Activities on site 95%
- Amenities 95%
- Access Road 70%
- Fly Fishing 95%
- Attractions 85%
Weekly Fishing Stats and Conditions:
As updated by the venue
Cover all sections of water column
- Visibility in water – (cm)
- Flow (ie. low / moderate / high / dangerous / flooding)
- Best water to target (ie. pools / glides / rapids / drop-offs / head of pool / tail of pool)
- Average fish size – (cm)
- Best time of day (sun-rise / morning / mid-morning / midday / early-afternoon / late afternoon / sun-set)
- Best fly and colour to use
- Best depth to fish with fly ( bottom / mid-column / surface)